Nuber - Adult Fitness Personal Trainer
Under the direction of the Wellness Director or Designee, all personal trainers will conduct personal training sessions to the standards of the certification held as well as the YMCA’s mission and philosophy. This job description includes, but is not limited to: safely designing and implementing appropriate individual fitness programs for members. In addition personal trainers will educate, stimulate, motivate, and promote adherence to a healthy lifestyle.
Personal trainers must be energetic, dedicated and motivated individuals who enjoy working with members one-on-one and in small groups, designing and implementing individual workout plans. All
Personal Trainers must demonstrate and enforce the core values (Caring Honesty, Respect and Responsibility) to staff, lay leaders, YMCA members, program participants and the general public.
• Current ACSM, ACE, NSCA, AFAA, NASM, NETA (accredited organizations) certification in personal
• Current CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications
• Experience in fitness testing, exercise program design, and teaching appropriate fitness programs to members of varying ages and fitness levels
• Minimum of 2 years in health and fitness field
• Two-year exercise science education, or related field, or minimum of 1 year experience.
• Accumulated continuing education credits to maintain certification(s)
• Full working knowledge of the facility’s safety and emergency procedures.
• Ability to recognize participants who are in distress.
• Demonstrate sound judgment in handling issues with staff and members.
• Administer national YMCA fitness assessments, or its equivalent.
• Interpret assessment results to members and, based on evaluation and member’s goals, design and
implement a fitness program.
• Attend staff meetings as directed.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• Attend New Employee Orientation within the first 20 days of employment and attend additional department meetings as scheduled.
• Follow the Memphis and the Mid-South standards of grooming and dress.
• Know, understand and follow all room guidelines, policies and chain of command of the YMCA facility.
• Be responsible for completing and turning in accident/incident reports immediately after occurrence.
• Notify the Wellness Director, or other staff member whenever a potentially serious problem with equipment or facility.
• Be Responsible for finding own qualified substitute for absence, or cancelling training session a minimum of 24 hours prior to scheduled appointment.
• Physically able to demonstrate proper exercise form and avoid contraindicated exercises.
• Visually able to observe members to assure correct training methods, techniques, and positions.
• Able to read exercise and testing equipment accurately, including but not limited to, blood pressure, heart rate/pulse.
• Complete all required employment records, including time cards, in an honest and timely manner.
• Refrain from using cell phone while working in all capacities, i.e.: texting, talking or surfing the internet.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Leader):
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Ys values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness
to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to reach with hands or arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities
required by this include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $22.00
- Max Hiring Rate $30.00
- Memphis, TN, USA