GLOBAL CATEGORY MANAGER Grocery
Position Summary Description:
Responsible for all product acquisition, merchandising, rationalization efforts, and marketing plans and functions for his/her product category and assigned vendors and ensuring we are growing each category within our customer base.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Product Life Cycle Management
- Guide all purchasing decisions related to the product life cycle from start to end for assigned category.
- Determine vendor and product selections as warranted by customer and branch location needs, corporate and contract commitments, and potential operational constraints.
- Responsible for negotiating the lowest possible landed cost, cash discounts, price deviations, freight savings and local marketing income.
- Responsible for coordinating with the purchasing staff on order cycles, buying patterns, order fill, buy-ins, inventory age and turns.
- Responsible for coordinating with cost management staff on marketing funds and earned income renewals.
- Responsible for reviewing new, primary, and consolidating existing items/vendors within assigned categories.
- Responsible for the management of cost changes and pricing standards.
- Responsible for vendor reviews.
Merchandising and Marketing
- Responsible for sales growth, customer trends, food safety, and product knowledge expertise within assigned categories.
- Responsible for merchandising the assigned categories at food shows, sales meetings, and individual customer presentations.
- Responsible for product education and providing information for customers and salespeople.
- Responsible for communicating item/vendor changes to salespeople and directly affected customers.
- Responsible for negotiating, communicating and managing the implementation of pricing contracts, coupons, deals, promotions in a timely manner.
- Responsible for providing material for monthly customer marketing, promotions, including coupons, deals, line changes, etc. for assigned categories.
- Responsible for guiding the vendor show displays at all customer facing events to ensure the best experience possible.
- Be a contributing member on the product merchandising committee to guide, plan, and manage all marketing programs within assigned categories to ensure deliverable timelines and an integrated calendar is managed.
- Responsible for training drivers and warehouse team members in the unique handling requirements of products/vendors with in assigned categories.
- Responsible for seeking feedback from operations management to see if additional support or consideration is needed in how product is received or packaged to minimize product handling losses and errors.
- Responsible for managing coordination with the logistics team to analyze and balance freight savings opportunities vs. direct shipment to each location.
- Responsible for replenishment patterns that fit the needs of the warehouse.
- Responsible for the disposition of unsalable merchandise.
- Responsible for the management of damages and spoils to the extent possible.
- Responsible for working with the account managers and key customers directly to select and promote items/vendors within assigned categories.
- Responsible for negotiating contracts, bids, rebates etc. for high volume items for individual customers.
- Responsible for working with the account managers and directly with new customers to determine correct price/value selections, in assigned categories, with new primary supply accounts.
- Responsible for sample management.
Education/Training and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Business Administration, or related field.
- Five years of progressive buying experience. Food service experience highly preferred.
- Must be able to demonstrate proficiency will all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Must possess a high level of verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to communicate with internal and external associates in an effective, professional and persuasive manner.
We are a Drug-Free Workplace and Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Pay Type Salary
- 285 Sand Island Access Rd, Honolulu, HI 96819, USA