Industrial Rail - Switchman
Savage is looking for a Switch man who's primary responsibility is to safely and timely switch rail cars within the customers facility.
Hours are approximately Monday thru Friday 6:30 am-2:30 pm + Call outs and some weekends, subject to change
Responsibilities / Job Duties
- The position of rail switch operator is responsible for the daily rail car movement in our customer’s facility located in Green River, WY.
- This individual will work with one other crew member to safely spot rail cars at requested locations and build outbound trains for required pick up
- The Switch man is expected to be cross trained and willing to assist in the different functions performed at the facility.
- Operate locomotive to spot rail cars on the correct tracks to be loaded/unloaded; move loaded cars to build outbound trains
- Build outbound trains, inspect rail cars and perform air brake inspections.
- Must be committed to working safely at all times
- Willing to do whatever necessary to build strong customer relations on a daily basis.
- Committed to show up on time on every scheduled work day.
- Demonstrates courteous, respectful, and cooperative communication and behavior with the customer and other Savage employees at all times.
- A willingness to complete any assigned task(s) as long as they have been properly trained.
- Willing to learn and practice the skills necessary to do the job safely and in a way that adds value to the customers operation and exceed their expectations.
- Must interact in a professional, courteous, and cooperative manner at all times with other Savage employees and the customer
- The opportunity to participate in Safety Training Programs which may require travel to Salt Lake City, Utah or another location
- Willing to, on occasion, travel to other sites to assist them in switching their facilities
- Can read, write, and understand English
- Able and willing to follow written and/or verbal instructions with minimal supervision
- Must pass a written and skills test on the type of work that he or she will be performing
- Willing to help with maintenance, clean-up, and anything else that requires attention, as directed by the Operations Manager and/or Supervisor
- Dependable and shows up for scheduled work shifts
- Willing to wear required PPE
- Conducts themselves in a professional manner at all times
- Learn, understand, and follow all safety procedures and work safely at all times
- Willing to learn and follow all Savage rules and procedures at all times.
- Willing to work holidays and weekends as needed
- Minimum of 1 year experience in the Rail Industry is preferred, but not required
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent
- Switch person will work outdoors every day and as a result will be exposed to the elements
- Must be able to walk long distances, consistently bend, stoop kneel and climb on elevated surfaces
- Switch person must be physically able to do the following:
- Climb on and off rail cars and locomotives safely
- Operate rail car hand brakes
- Operate rail switches
- Must have the ability to work, walk, and stand on uneven ballast surfaces for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs consistently throughout the course of a shift
- Have the ability to use basic hand tools
- Able to work rotating shift schedule and overtime when needed
Having trouble with our application? Please call 800-233-0883 for assistance.
- Job Family Skilled Player
- Pay Type Hourly
- Green River, WY 82935, USA