SH&E Manager (Delaware City Refinery)
Savage Companies, an established supply chain solutions company, is seeking a Safety, Health, & Environmental Manager to provide strategic direction and execution of the safety, health, and environmental (SH&E) plan at Savage’s rail and transloading operation located in Delaware City, DE. This position will support up to four (4) other similar operations located in Paulsboro, NJ, Detroit, MI, and Toledo, OH, but will primarily office out of the Delaware City Refinery operation.
- Assist with S7 development and quarterly operational self-assessments with focused efforts in the areas of Team, SH&E, Planning and Productivity, and Professionalism.
- Coach, develop, guide and mentor team members to reflect the Savage safety culture.
- Work with the engineering department to ensure current and future facilities are designed with safety in mind and meet industry standards and regulations.
- Professional collaboration with Operations Managers, customers, vendors, and SH&E peers, and others with a vested interest on all safety related issues.
- Work with all team members to develop and deliver procedural and regulatory training.
- Monitor and trend safety statistics in the operation and advise and implement corrective actions that lead to zero injuries and liabilities.
- Establish a proactive SH&E process towards hazard identification and incident prevention.
- Knowledgeable and proficient with regulatory (PSM, FRA, OSHA, DOT) compliance requirements.
- Obtain and manage all required permits (operating, environmental) needed to operate.
- Lead post incident investigations and work with managers to develop effective, sustainable corrective actions to eliminate repeat incidents.
- Serve as Incident Commander during emergencies; available 24/7 for such emergencies.
- Participate in various SH&E-related councils and committees within Savage and have a strong presence on the Customer’s contractor safety council, attending meetings and completing field audits on a weekly/monthly basis.
- Work with other SH&E professionals within the Unit and Group to collaborate, align on strategy, and execute timely, while always keeping in mind the need for “continuous improvement”.
- In-depth knowledge in the transportation and storage of petroleum products and other hazardous chemicals; emphasis on handling (loading/unloading) LPG, crude oil, and other hydrocarbons.
- Basic understanding of DOT requirements for commercial motor vehicle drivers to include the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) requirements.
- Proven ability to analyze situations and data to make sound decisions.
- Comfortable in front of a group, whether it is training frontline employees or presenting a safety plan of action to a potential customer.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite with the ability to navigate Savage’s internal reporting system for statistical analysis.
- Excellent written communication skills for writing reports, training content, operational procedures, and more. Writing must be concise and exact.
- Impeccable integrity
- Detail oriented and self-starter
- Responds well to high-pressure situations
- A desire to work in the field, alongside operators, in an industrial environment.
- Comfortable working in an industrial/refinery environment and the hazards that accompany it: exposure to all weather elements, climbing on top of and underneath railcars, inspecting conveyor systems several stories high, lifting 40+ lbs, walking long distances on uneven ground.
- Treats people fairly with dignity and respect
- Embraces and teaches company culture
- Ability to travel with short notice and on a month basis to provide support to all operations. (20-30% overnight travel)
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) certificate is required
- BA/BS required in a safety, health, environmental, or other technical area.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in the rail industry
- Minimum of 5 years as a safety professional in a refinery, oil and gas or other industrial environment
- Commitment to working safely at all times
- Ability to be exposed to the outdoor elements
- Physical fit to work with the employees in the operation and train them in their jobs and assignments
- Climb on and off railcars and locomotives safely
- Operate railcar hand brakes
- Operate rail switches
- Walk long distances
- Consistently bend, stoop, kneel and climb on elevated surfaces
- Work, walk, and stand on uneven ballast surfaces for long periods of time
- Lift up to 50 lbs consistently throughout the course of a shift
- Operate basic hand tools
- Wear required PPE
- Willing to work different shifts and weekends as needed
- Ability to work/cover weekend duty periodically
Having trouble with our application? Please call 800-233-0883 for assistance.
California Residents: Job Applicant Privacy Notice
Last Updated: January 1, 2020
Thank you for your interest in opportunities at Savage. We are providing you this notice in effort to be transparent about our how we collect and use your personal information.
Please know that by submitting your application materials, we will collect certain categories of personal information from you. These categories include: direct identifiers (e.g., your name, contact information, application account login information, and social media account information if you choose to provide it to us); professional information (e.g., your employment and education background); and other information you include in your resume and cover letter, such as your references, skills and abilities.
We use each category of personal information you provide primarily for recruitment and hiring purposes, and to evaluate your candidacy for the job opening(s) you apply to as well as other job openings at Savage that we think may interest you. We may also use your personal information to help detect security risks and incidents, to protect against fraudulent or illegal activity, to comply with federal and state laws, and to discover ways to improve our business and identify trends in our job applicants and workforce through internal and third party business analytics tools.
For more information or questions about opportunities at Savage, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at (800) 233-0883 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 25
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- Delaware City, DE, USA