Adjunct, Math, Campus Position
What's next for you is the first priority for us! With over 45 programs from associate to doctoral degrees, South University is a private institution dedicated to providing educational opportunities that spark the intellectual, social and professional development of a diverse student population.
Our 120-year story—past, present and future—is a history formed by the many individuals who have developed the education and spirit of community that have become our pledge to the students, faculty, staff, alumni and supporters of South University. Online and at our 8 locations and 2 learning sites, we take pride in our welcoming environment; one-on-one support and personalized attention that helps students define goals and identify the means to pursue them. Our small classes feature hands-on experiences that not only shape students’ skills and excellence in their chosen fields but also shape their characters through encouraging community involvement, volunteerism and the pursuit of life-long learning.
Visit www.southuniversity.edu today to learn more about what makes us stand apart as a place to Belong, Believe and Become, a place where you can make a difference in the lives of students eager to learn and grow.
South University, the right direction for a brighter future.
Instruct and facilitate meaningful learning of the course outcomes in the curriculum and proactively support all facets of the learning environment. Provide education through learning-centered instruction that will enable graduates to fulfill the evolving needs of the marketplace. Encourage a culture of learning that values mutual responsibility and respect, life-long learning, diversity and ethics as well as personal and professional development. Assure that the South University philosophy: quality service to students; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position. Participate in activities that promote the stature of the academic programs, departments, and colleges and abide by the mandates set by the South University Board of Trustees and administration.
KEY JOB ELEMENTS:
- Manage the educational process to ensure every student is involved in a positive educational experience through the learning, teaching, and social environment.
- Perform faculty responsibilities as outlined in the faculty job description and in accordance with the provisions of Faculty Supplement to the South University Employee Handbook.
- Provide course instruction that aligns with the South University model of curricula as well as supports the South University style of system delivery.
- Design and deliver class instruction through the development of instructional plans to meet course outcomes, the development of activities which support lesson objectives, and for online courses, deliver the instruction as approved within each course shell.
- Enable the achievement of pre-described outcomes for student achievement and evaluation of learning by providing instruction which fosters proficiency and establishes student performance criteria and evaluation.
- Deliver learning-centered instruction by establishing a classroom environment conducive to learning and student involvement as well as effectively planning and preparing for classes and student success.
- Promote student success by showing flexibility in style and work schedule as well as exhibiting a passion for teaching and students and engaging students in the learning process.
- Manage the learning environment through keeping accurate records, submitting grades and other reports on time, and enforcing academic and attendance policies consistent with the school, campus, or online division.
- Relate professional/life/industry experience to learning by the continuation of professional/technical skills development, the introduction of industry perspective into courses, and the active awareness of professional/industry trends and opportunities.
- Participate in the faculty development process to enhance knowledge, skills, and abilities in learner-centered instruction. Communicate consistently and effectively with supervisor(s), faculty, and other South University administrators.
- Contribute to a learning culture by participating on curriculum and system task forces, support local campus events such as orientation and graduation, and participate in various other workshops and meetings. (Onground)
- For graduate programs, a terminal degree from a regionally accredited institution in the discipline to be taught, with a concentration in the teaching discipline (minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline) required.
- For undergraduate programs, a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the discipline to be taught, with a concentration in the teaching discipline (minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the teaching discipline) required.
- Experience in instruction or formalized education process, preferably in a post-secondary or college institution. Membership in a professional association tied to area of instruction preferred.
- Active, valid, and unencumbered state licensure or certification as applicable to the discipline.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to build successful relationships with student populations.
- Outstanding conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent time management and detail-oriented skills.
- Computer based skills (i.e., software, analytical, and report writing skills).
Experience with computerized learning
management systems, including proficiency with the use of standard office applications on personal computers.
- Excellent critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Excellent teaching skills as evidenced in prior teaching evaluations.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
South University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
- Required Education Master’s Degree
- South University Austin, TX, 1220 W. Louis Henna Boulevard, Round Rock, Texas, United States of America