Our organization’s vision - we will lead the fight against extinction.
Help us to make a difference for wildlife and begin your adventure with a career at the San Diego Zoo. Join the dedicated crew who are passionate about what they do and strive to create unforgettable experiences for our guests.
A minimum of 1 year of experience with tree care and maintenance. Some experience with pruning, shaping, rigging, take downs and removals with heaving equipment, ie: cranes, loaders, etc. preferred. Candidates must have basic knowledge of tree diseases and pest problems and be acquainted with common tree species identification. Selected candidates must be able to move moderate to heavy objects, work from elevated positions, operate assigned tools and equipment. Good communication and record keeping skills are necessary. Applicants must be available to work any of the seven days of the week including holidays. Scheduled work hours will be approximately 40 hours per week. A good driving record and a valid California driver license is required. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
The Arborist performs all job assignments with a positive attitude that supports San Diego Zoo Global’s mission and vision of saving species worldwide by uniting our expertise in animal care and conservation science with our dedication to inspiring passion for nature and leading the fight against extinction. The Arborist under general supervision performs a variety of skilled and semi-skilled work, planting, transplanting, trimming, felling, and pruning of the organizations-owned trees and shrubbery and other sites as directed. This position reports to the Lead Arborist/Supervisor/Manager.
This is a skilled, journey-level class, and performs tasks of moderate difficulty in tree trimming by working from elevated positions.
- Trims, shapes, and/or prunes trees
- Strips, fells and cuts trees into logs for disposal
- Plants and transplants trees
- Stakes, irrigates and cultivates trees
- Operates cutting tools
- Operates chipper
- Sharpens and maintains tools
- Services and maintains equipment
- Operates a truck in transporting tools, equipment and debris
- Operates power-driven hydraulic boom
- Works from hydraulic boom in trimming, shaping and pruning trees
- Collects browse forage from heights over 12 feet and delivers them to animal compounds
- Models punctuality and professionalism
- Adheres to all SDZG and department policies and practices
- Practices the GRRREAT Customer Service Standards
- Works from various heights and trims, shapes, or prunes trees to cut away branches
- Operates cutting tools such as axes, clippers or chain saws
- Typically uses rigging such as ropes, lines, hardware, and work crew
- Typically uses various tree trimming tools such as pruners, pole saws, loppers and brush chipper, chain saws
- Assists in removing whole trees and tree stumps from the ground
- Assists other tree trimming personnel from the ground
Performs related duties and responsibilities as required.
Tree climbing and pruning experience that are set forth in the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) standards and/or an ISA certification is desired; at least two years climbing and trimming experience; valid California driver license required.
- Tree biology and identification
- Basic methods, tools, equipment
- Material used in trimming, felling and pruning trees and shrubbery
- Tree and stump removal methods and practices
- Rigging methods for tree trimming.
- Characteristics of ornamental and shade trees
- Safety practices for tree trimming and pruning
- Fundamentals of tree surgery
- Communicate and work effectively with others
- Deal tactfully and courteously with the others in a diverse environment
- Respond to cautions from co-workers
- Operate motorized equipment and vehicles
- Competently perform the essential functions outlined above
Work at varies heights; avoid flying debris; work in uneven terrain with exposure to varying weather conditions, dust, and allergens and noise.
This position has been identified as one requiring at least occasional lifting in excess of 50 pounds; frequently move moderate to heavy objects; standing, bending, squatting, twisting, reaching, work from elevated positions; operate assigned tools and equipment; etc.
Location: - Horticulture department - San Diego Zoo
Duration: - Year round
Positions available: 1
(Union position) Starting hourly wage: $22.80
*If selected for hire, this position requires an initiation fee and monthly dues to be paid to the union
Application Deadline: Thursday, March 12, 2020
NOTE: Candidates must be available for an interview.
THIS EMPLOYER PARTICIPATES IN E-VERIFYSAN DIEGO ZOO GLOBAL IS AN EEO/AA/DISABILITY/PROTECTED VETERAN EMPLOYER – San Diego Zoo Global makes every effort to ensure equal employment opportunities for all individuals and abides by EEO and nondiscrimination provisions of all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete an application please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the job title and location to which you are applying.
Are you ready to start your adventure and put your Passion for Wildlife to work?
- Job Function 6.11
- Pay Type Hourly
- 2920 Zoo Dr, San Diego, CA 92101, USA