This posting is inactive.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians is committed to protecting and exercising the inherent inalienable sovereign rights of the Tribe and Individuals in the interest of the Medicine Creek Treat Territories, as stewards to ensure preservation of our cultural and environmental integrity for common good and prosperity for all.
Closes: December 4, 2019
at 8:59 pm PST
Department: Tribal Court
Reports To: Court Administrator/ Chief Judge
Salary Min: $16.30/hour + benefits*
* In addition to salary, The Puyallup Tribe provides a very generous employees’ benefits package including, but not limited to, employer paid medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement/401k plan with profit sharing, ample paid time off, a copious holiday schedule, and birthday leave
Assists the Court Clerk and maintains order for operation of the court. Provides support services to the Court of Appeals and Tribal Court.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Calls the court to order and maintains order during court hearings.
Oversees the jury during trials and assists with the needs of jurors.
Assists the public when court is in session.
Detains members of the public if found in contempt until law enforcement arrives.
Detains criminal defendants until transported by law enforcement.
Assists law enforcement with defendants in the court room.
Serves summons and subpoenas for criminal proceedings.
Operates copiers, phones, fax machines, completes typing. Maintains confidentiality at all times.
Performs other duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications and Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or six months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
Position is required to drive up to five days per week. Employee must have a valid and unrestricted Washington Drivers License and insurance and must maintain them during employment.
Other Skills and Abilities
Strong customer service skills to work with the public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be physically able to detain defendants or members of the public, maintain order in the court, and serve summons/subpoenas.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, and talk or hear.
The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Potential dangers include hostile individuals.
Employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
Position may be stressful at times due to the sensitive or confidential issues being addressed.
Requires occasional travel using employee’s own transportation.
The Puyallup Tribe of Indians reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises. This position description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Indian Preference Employer as Required by Law
H o w T o A p p l y:
Apply online at https://usr55.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/ptoiad or visit the Puyallup Tribe’s website at http://www.puyallup-tribe.com/Employment/.
Online Application Tips:
1. If you are using a PC, use Internet Explorer. If you are using a MAC, use Safari.
2. Upload additional documents (resume, cover letter, letters of recommendation, proof of Indian blood, etc.) to the resume tab as one (1) PDF file or email documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can add them to your online application. Please send in copies of any degrees or certificates that you have been awarded.
3. Indian Hiring Preference – send in the appropriate documentation for the category you select. If you have any questions about the hiring preference policy or what document to send in, email us at email@example.com or call (253) 573-7863.
4. Provide 3+ references (we cannot obtain references from direct family members – mother, father, grandparents, sisters, brothers, or children and this includes in laws). One reference must be your most recent supervisor. We prefer the rest of your references to include co-workers, subordinates, or other supervisors, but we can accept a personal reference from someone who is familiar with your work ethic, habits, and attendance. You can send in letters of recommendation to firstname.lastname@example.org
5. To add more employment, education, references, etc., click on the small + sign at the top right corner of the page.
6. When entering salaries, only use numbers. Do not use any other characters (such as , . or $)
7. After you submit your application, you will receive an email confirmation. If you do not receive an email, please call the office to confirm submission.
*Please do not wear perfumes, colognes, or strong scents to your interview. Some employees are allergic.
If you have any questions about the positions or the online application, please call (253) 573-7863
or email email@example.com.
Native American preference applies and job placements are given on a competitive basis, using job related factors. Because of the large number of applications received and limited job positions, your application will not guarantee employment.