Legal Data Specialist / Legal Professional Assistant Trainee (Wordprocessing)
Become part of the Parker Poe team that – for more than a century – has represented many of the Southeast’s largest companies and local governments.
We are a tight-knit firm that values the person beyond the lawyer or professional. Because of this, in addition to structured integration efforts, you will find that mentorship, professional development, and internal referrals happen organically. If you want to join a collaborative team providing sophisticated legal services – without losing sight of our calling to give back to our communities – this is the place to be.
We are not utilizing agencies to fill this position.
Department: Legal Data Services
Direct Reports: No
Supervised By: Legal Data Services Manager
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Type, record, edit, store, and revise data for various correspondence
- Generate reports, forms, statistical tables, presentations, spreadsheets, etc.
- Scan, convert and format correspondence using appropriate software
- Transcribe a variety of correspondence (reports, letters, memos, notes, deposition summaries, interrogatories, requests for production, etc.)
- Convert various file types to/from each other (i.e., WordPerfect, Adobe PDF, .tiff files, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Create merge documents for letters, envelopes, labels, table tent cards, name tags, etc.
- Auto generate Table of Contents, Table of Authorities and document comparisons
- Troubleshoot documents applying existing knowledge
- Operate various word processing equipment (i.e., scanners, etc.)
- Provide attorneys with clerical support (i.e., time entry, transcribe voicemails, typing, sending emails with attachments, printing, create folder and CD/DVD labels, envelopes, and mailing labels, copying and faxing documents as well as perform data entry and burn CDs/DVDs)
- Maintain off-site storage files database and index file boxes
- Interpret a variety of instructions in written, oral, diagram or other form and produce quality work product
- Participate in continuous training to gain knowledge of new equipment and software used to produce work product
- Contribute towards improving initiatives of LDS team as it supports the Firm
- Comply with department policies and procedures
- Provide LPA support as needed (e.g., sit at LPA desk assignment when LPA is on PTO, work on projects not typically supported by LDS, and provide backup reception coverage, etc.)
- High School diploma/GED with one year related experience, technical certification or college degree preferred
- Minimum 1 year legal industry word processing or administrative experience
- Intermediate to expert knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Ability to type 75 wpm
- Experience with BigHand, Express Scribe or similar dictation applications
- Knowledge of 3E or similar web-based time entry application & InterAction Web Client database
- Ability to work under tight deadlines managing multiple tasks simultaneously
- Advanced formatting competency required
- Excellent oral/written communication skills and time management/organizational skills
- Ability to respond to frequent, high demands in a professional and courteous manner
- Self disciplined with strong work ethic; motivated to seek out opportunities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, team environment working toward common objective
- Keen interest in obtaining new skills to support department/Firm mission
- Willingness to work beyond scheduled hours, including weekends, to meet deadlines as necessary
- Ability to carry out additional duties as assigned by manager with collegial manner
- Frequent sitting, use of hands to type and grasp; talking or hearing; occasional standing, walking and reaching with hands or arms; minimal lifting required.
- Parker Poe, Three Wells Fargo Center, Charlotte, North Carolina, United States of America