Party Chief I - Charlotte NC
Under the general direction of the Project Manager, the Party Chief directs a field survey crew in performing construction, topographic, hydrographic, boundary, right-of-way, control, and special purpose surveys for a client or in support of any of the various technical services of the company. The Party Chief understands all the roles of the survey crew and uses or supervises the appropriate equipment to perform the task required.
- Reports to the Operations Manager who is responsible for the project/assignment.
- Reports immediately to the Operations Manager and Company Safety Officer any safety incidents or suspected Drug or Alcohol use by the crew.
- Assists in conducting performance evaluations and reviews for supervised personnel.
- Ensures that survey crew conducts itself in a professional manner and presents a responsible, positive attitude to the public.
- Interacts with internal and external client representatives in a professional manner
- Coordinates with office support staff on a regular basis to ensure project goals are met under budget and in a timely manner
- Ensures, through daily inspection, that the survey vehicles have an adequate supply of equipment and materials for the day's operations.
- Supervises, manages, and mentors subordinate field survey personnel in the performance of their assignments.
- Scribes neat and accurate field notes to serve as a permanent record of the survey work performed.
- Performs the necessary calculations to close level loops, to provide field checks on the angular closure of a field traverse, etc.
- Applies knowledge of plane trigonometry and plane coordinate computations to field survey problems.
- Applies knowledge of the mathematical relationship of elements of a horizontal circular curve and its layout.
- Applies working knowledge of the system of rectangular surveys, accepted methods and procedures for retracement of such surveys and general principles for the reestablishment of lost or obliterated corners.
- Interprets fractional and metes and bounds legal descriptions.
- Performs such other duties as the Supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Minimum 2-years’ progressive experience in survey field work
- Strong math and computer skills
- Punctual, dependable, and independent
- Must have a valid driver’s license and good driving record
Special Position Requirements:
- Pre-employment background and drug screening and must be able to pass random drug screens.
- Working knowledge of Trimble equipment
- Experience in the oil, gas, and energy sectors preferred but not required
Office: 0 % Field 100%
Must be willing to work in inclement weather, including heat, rain, and snow
Must be willing to travel from home office for 2-3 weeks at a time
Must be flexible to work overtime as project conditions dictate
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodations. The following is a sample of some of the physical demands that would normally be required for this position.
Remaining in the seated position for extended periods of time.
Remaining on one’s feet in an upright position at a workstation without moving about
Walking long distances in rough terrain
Raising or lowering an object from one level to another. Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 lbs.
Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word to impart oral information to clients or to the public and to convey detailed spoken instructions to other workers accurately
Using an axe or machete, follow lines of sight through woods cutting brush
- Company Truck
- Laptop Computer
- Mobile Phone
- Various survey equipment
Members of field crew
- Pay Type Hourly
- Charlotte, NC, USA