State Outreach Associate
3434 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201, USA Req #46
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
EEO Statement: We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
The Mercatus Center at George Mason University seeks an Outreach Associate to join our State Outreach team in our mission to disseminate the latest economic research to diverse constituencies to help inform and improve public policy. The incumbent will work closely with the Director of State Outreach in developing strategies to inform and educate public policy stakeholders. The position reports to the Director of State Outreach.
Candidates must be outgoing, results-oriented, have excellent attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines. Successful candidates will be strategic, creative, self-motivated, and have a strong understanding of market-oriented ideas. State government, Capitol Hill, think tank or policy-related experience and familiarity with basic economic principles are required. It would be helpful to have experience in the New England area, but is not required.
- Help plan and assist with development and execution of effective state-focused outreach strategies and programs that connect Mercatus research with state policy audiences
- Educate and prepare Mercatus researchers on the evolving context of policy debates and potential opportunities to advance the use of their research by state policy audiences
- Collaborate with policy research, communications, marketing, and the events teams to ensure that Mercatus research is effectively disseminated to state policy audiences
- Develop and strengthen effective relationships with state policy makers and staff so that Mercatus research informs and improves public policy
- Ensure full compliance with Mercatus policies
- Provide regular and timely updates and reporting on activities
- Travel required (roughly 20%-30%), though operations are based in Arlington, Virginia
- A bachelor’s degree in economics, political science or related field
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in public policy and/or related fields (legislative staff, think tanks, etc.)
- Basic working knowledge of the state policy-making process (Governor, state legislature, state think tank) or transferable skills.
- Desire to connect cutting edge research with today’s public policy challenges
- Must be highly organized with the ability to work quickly and effectively in a team environment and facilitate collaboration on projects with multiple stakeholders
- Understanding of the role of academic institutions, think tanks, and research centers in the policy making process
- Desire to work effectively in a bi-partisan manner and/or build coalitions on policy issues with various entities
- Strong interpersonal, networking, writing and public speaking skills
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Experience with a database and related reporting skills required
Help us Grow
Please submit your cover letter and resume in a single PDF through our online application process. Your cover letter must indicate your interest in the Mercatus Center's mission.
Salary is competitive and will be commensurate with experience. In addition, Mercatus provides excellent benefits to all individual employees, including full health and dental coverage, flexible spending accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, a 403(b) retirement savings program, parking/travel benefits, and twelve free credits per year at George Mason University.
About the Mercatus Center at George Mason University
For 40 years, the Mercatus Center at George Mason University has been the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus works to advance knowledge about how markets work to improve our lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying sound economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems.
- Pay Type Salary
- Travel Required Yes
- Travel % 20
- Required Education Bachelor’s Degree
- 3434 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201, USA