SYSTEMS ENGINEER (LINUX)
The Systems Engineer is responsible for supporting the Linux Environment (OEL, CentOS, and RedHat). This includes responsibilities for daily troubleshooting, configuration, and support of custom software and 3rd party integration solutions such as a cloud management, monitoring and alerting, and billing platforms. Experience with the following core components is highly desirable: Virtualization (VMware), SAN technology (NetApp), and Microsoft systems (AD, DNS, and Kerberos/LDAPS).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for maintaining all servers with a Linux OS for customers subscribing to managed services as well as server used internally.
- Perform general system administration tasks on managed software platforms including kernel updates and package installation.
- Aids in the automation of infrastructure provisioning for as-a-service offerings.
- Provide support of enterprise systems including hypervisors, servers, and storage.
- Documents solutions by developing documentation, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code.
- Perform proof of concept testing for emerging technologies including new hardware and software.
- Assist in building monitoring and alerting capabilities for the infrastructure stack.
- Create and maintain reporting used for customer billing.
- Provide Tier 3 assistance in handling escalations for advanced troubleshooting of client issues.
- Develop and distribute reports, KPI’s and presentations for management.
- Improves operations by conducting systems analysis; recommending changes in policies and procedures.
- Provides information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing development and service issues.
- Obtains and licenses software by obtaining required information from vendors; recommending purchases; testing and approving products.
- Assist in the implementation of ITIL processes, procedures, and supporting systems.
- Respond to Escalated issues from NOC 24x7x365 as needed
- Provide positive mentorship for junior team members.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, technical field, or 3-5 years equivalent work experience
- 3-5 years of systems administration focused on Linux Operating Systems
- Technical certifications are a plus. Examples: VCP (VMware Certified Professional), Microsoft MCSE, MCSA or MCITP, Cisco CCNA, CompTia A+ and/or Security+, Red Hat RHCSA or RHCE
- Experience integrating Microsoft enterprise IT technologies with Linux systems is a plus
- Experience with OEL, CentOS, RedHat
- Experience in Linux-related scripting (Bash, Perl, Python, etc)
- Experience with MySql, Apache and Java
- Experience with layer two network fundamentals such as VLANs and switch configurations is preferred
- Experience with Documentation Management tools such as Confluence and Sharepoint
- Experience with ITIL processes such as Change Management and Incident Management
- Knowledge of API interaction to include REST/SOAP
- Technology stack: VMware vSphere, Cisco UCS blade servers, NetApp storage, Commvault, Zerto, VEEAM
- Job Family 50
- Pay Type Salary
- Charlotte, NC, USA