Scientific Curator for the Immune Epitope Database
The Sette lab at the La Jolla Institute for Immunology (LJI) is comprised of an interdisciplinary team of scientists working towards understanding, preventing and curing immune related diseases. As part of these operations, the Immune Epitope Database and Analysis Resource (IEDB), a freely available online resource supported by NIAID, was founded in 2003.
There is an opening for full time Scientific Curator(s) to join our team.
The IEDB (http://iedb.org) contains vast data on B and T cell epitopes for humans, non-human primates, rodents, and other animal species from infectious diseases, allergens, autoimmune diseases, and transplantation. The Curator is responsible for contributing to the population of this data into the database through the curation of scientific literature. Duties include interpreting scientific articles to extract relevant data and entering these data into the database for access by the scientific community.
Candidates possessing the following qualifications are encouraged to apply:
- A PhD degree in immunology, microbiology, biochemistry, or related field
- Strong experience in the field of adaptive immunology
- Ability to interpret and dissect scientific research articles for pertinent data
- Good attention to detail
- High computer proficiency (specifically word processing and spreadsheet applications)
- Ability to work in an independent, efficient and highly productive manner
Another facet of the position allows for partial effort dedicated to analysis of the curated data. In addition to the above qualifications, candidates interested in fulfilling this supplementary function should be:
- Comfortable analyzing large datasets
- Familiar with basic methods of biostatistical analysis
- Proficient with a programming/scripting language (preferably Python or R)
- Knowledgeable of publicly available bioinformatics tools and databases
The position allows for flexible work hours with option to work remotely once fully trained. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Full time employment includes medical/dental/vision benefits, paid vacation/sick leave, and contributions to a retirement plan (403B).
How to apply:
Interested candidates, please upload your resume through the online portal. Local candidates only.
In 2018, LJI was ranked as one of the best places to work in San Diego by the San Diego business Journal. LJI is located in the Science Research Park on the campus of UC San Diego, with easy access to the San Diego life sciences community and all that the area has to offer.
LJI provides Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) to all employees and applicants regardless of race, national origin, religion, sex, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, veteran status, sexual orientation, or pregnancy. This applies to all personnel practices including recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, compensation, benefits, transfers, educational assistance, and social/recreational programs.
- Job Function RT
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA