141 - Director of Accounting/Controller
Position reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO), is responsible for all La Jolla Institute for Immunology (LJI) related accounting, revenue recognition and financial management. Participates with CFO in the development of current and long-range financial plans, objectives and policies. Responsible for the management of LJI’s financial accounting, reporting and related management information systems; audit and tax compliance; treasury functions, including banking operations, and cash-flow management; oversees the administration of the accounts receivable, payroll, internal control, and accounts payable functions at LJI.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Reviews reports to analyze projections of revenues and expenditures against actual figures, comparisons to budget, and suggests methods for improving the management of financial resources as appropriate.
· Meets regularly with budget managers, including cores, to keep informed of current business activities and to offer professional advice in terms of managing departmental budgets and ensuring compliance with internal & external policies
· Oversees the Indirect Cost settlement process.
· Manages daily cash flow and transfers between banks to ensure positive cash flow while simultaneously maximizing investment earnings.
· Participates in financial planning and monitoring for LJI core facilities, including Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT) considerations.
· Works with Financial Planning and Analysis to maintain and develop financial projection models.
· In consultation with CFO, directs the preparation of all financial reports, including income statements, balance sheets, reports to management, tax returns, and reports for government regulatory agencies.
· Monitors all financial and other corporate reporting deadlines to ensure timely submission.
· Ensures timely and accurate completion and distribution of periodic financial reports and analyses.
· Supports budgeting, accounting and reporting for LJI’s provision of Property Management Services and Shared Lab Support services in accordance with governing agreements.
Accounting & Audit
· Supervise and direct the operations of the Accounting Department.
· Ensure that all accounting and financial reporting practices are conducted in accordance with appropriate regulatory and third party requirements, and Accounting Principles Generally Accepted in the United States of America (GAAP).
· Manage annual audit and ensure appropriate internal controls are in place. Coordinate management’s response to any comment letter items.
· Supervise Senior Accountant responsible for internal control functions, budget document preparation, and specialized accounting tasks (royalties, investments, donations, foreign tax treaties, etc.).
· Oversee payroll operations ensuring accurate, timely payroll processing in close coordination with Human Resources Department including proper administration of foreign national employee’s tax withholding & reporting.
· Reviews draft Form 990 and related IRS returns prior to signing by CFO.
· Reviews all accounts payable transactions, prior to review and approval by CFO, for accuracy, proper accounting treatment and adequate supporting documentation.
· Initiates and/or reviews & approves new, or changes to existing, written Accounting Policies and Procedures.
Leadership & Mentoring
· Build and maintain mutually supportive relationships with all levels of management, staff, outside agencies, and vendors.
· Encourage close working relationships between Office of Sponsored Research, Grants & Contracts, and Accounting Department staff to ensure LJI goals and objectives are achieved.
· Instill in staff a strong customer service orientation.
· Responsible for evaluating the overall performance of personnel in the Accounting Department. Recommends training requirements to keep the staff at the highest level of skill necessary to meet company needs and objectives, and may recommend that personnel be hired, counseled and/or terminated.
· Maintain knowledge of current financial reporting trends and developments in the fields of accounting, finance, tax, and grants administration.
· Maintain relationships with colleagues in other organizations for the benefit of sharing ideas, best practices and other topics of common interest.
BS/MS in Accounting or Finance and must have current Certified Professional Accountant license. Must have at least 8 to 10 years’ of experience in corporate or non-profit accounting. Must demonstrate the ability to manage and develop staff. Excellent written and verbal communications. Proficient in Microsoft Office suite. Experience with Microsoft NAV accounting software a plus.
How to apply: Please upload your resume in a single file attachment.
- Job Function RA
- Pay Type Salary
- 9420 Athena Cir, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA