Bilingual Domestic Violence Court Advocate
Since 1971, A New Leaf has faithfully worked in service to our mission of “Helping Families…Changing Lives,” making a positive impact in the lives of more than 24,000 people each year in the Phoenix Metropolitan area. Services focus on HEALTH, HOUSING, AND COMMUNITY SERVICES, offering a continuum of support to move households from crisis to long-term health and stability.
A New Leaf continues to grow to respond to needs in our community by developing comprehensive, relevant and effective services for vulnerable and underserved families, children, and adults.
A New Leaf’s Domestic Violence Court Advocacy Program provides victims of domestic violence and sexual assault crimes with court advocacy. Acting as a key support service, Court Advocacy focuses on providing individuals with the tools and resources necessary to secure orders of protection and injunctions of harassment. Court Advocates are bilingual in Spanish and English at all sites, assisting individuals in person or over the phone.
A New Leaf is currently seeking a Part-Time, Spanish/English Bilingual Court Advocate to work at the Gilbert City Court.
Schedule: Monday - Thursday, up to 29 hours per week
Pay Rate: $17.00
Location: Gilbert, AZ (working at the Gilbert City Court)
Major areas of responsibility (including but not limited to):
- Perform highly interactive and assistance duties directly working with domestic violence and sexual assault victims.
- Initiate and facilitate communication in order to serve as a liaison between victims, court staff and others.
- Be knowledgeable of and provide information about Orders of Protection (OP) and Injunctions Against Harassment (IAH).
- Assess victim needs, provide domestic violence, sexual assault education/ information and service referrals, including referral for further legal assistance, including family court proceedings. Assist individuals with filling out the OP/IAH, if they require it. Provide legal advocacy and criminal justice support.
- Accompany individuals to file the OP/IAH, to court hearings, and to serve OP/IAH, as needed.
- Be knowledgeable of and provide basic information on family court procedures (divorce, child support, custody, parenting time, paternity).
- Record and document all client information and contact as necessary.
- Maintain client contact logs. Maintain statistical records on victims served and service provided; submit monthly statistical reports.
- Participate in required client care supervision on a regular basis as required by state law and A New Leaf policy.
- Handle stressful situations autonomously with a positive attitude and work within a team-based work unit.
Position Requirements / Qualifications / Skills:
- High school diploma or GED required; Associates or Bachelor's Degree preferred.
- Bilingual - Spanish Required. Must have the ability to communicate effectively in Spanish and the ability to interpret and translate.
- Must have experience working with domestic violence, sexual assault, homeless and / or the economically disadvantaged population. Knowledge of community resources, legal systems and experience working in the domestic violence, sexual assault field.
- Possess a valid driver’s license with reliable transportation, a clean 39-month motor vehicle record and current auto liability insurance.
- Must possess a Class One Fingerprint Clearance Card or be able to pass various background checks in order to obtain one.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Must possess knowledge and understanding of standard office equipment, be proficient with personal computers and applicable software programs.
- Must have the ability to communicate appropriately in both verbal and written.
- Due to state licensing requirements, applicants must be a minimum 21 years of age.
We appreciate your interest in our organization. We consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
A New Leaf is an at-will employer. Any offer of employment with A New Leaf is contingent upon a successful consumer report to include verification of employment, education, criminal background search and driving records.
A New Leaf is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and participates in the E-Verify program. A New Leaf participates in el program de E-Verify. Equal Opportunity Employer.
BENEFITS PACKAGE: All of our employees enjoy the following benefits: direct deposit, competitive pay, accrued sick time, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), annual team member appreciation event, informal, yet professional team environment.
For full time employees, we also provide the following included in the total compensation plan: Health/Dental/Vision Coverage, Accrued Sick and Vacation Time, Paid Holidays, Life Insurance, AD&D, Short Term Disability, 401(K), Tuition Reimbursement, and a Wellness Program which has received a Silver Level of excellence in worksite wellness by providing employees with Annual Biometrics, Gym Reimbursements, Wellness Initiatives, Workers Compensation improvements, and much more!
- Pay Type Hourly
- Travel Required Yes
- Gilbert, AZ, USA