Intern - Operations Performance Training and Integration
ISO New England Inc., 55 Helmsford Way, Windsor, Connecticut, United States of America
Monday, September 2, 2019
ISO New England oversees the 24/7 operation of the power grid that covers the six-states of New England and administers the region’s $10+ billion “stock exchange” for the buying and selling of wholesale electricity. The power system is constantly evolving as new technologies emerge and energy policies evolve. There is a lot going on at our organization behind the scenes to make sure the grid continuously yields reliable electricity at competitive prices while addressing the unique challenges that come along with our industry.
Intern - Operational Performance, Training & Integration
The Operations Performance, Training & Integration (OPTI) group performs several critical functions in support of the ISO System Operations department's role of reliably and efficiently operating the New England Bulk Electric System. This position is intended for an undergraduate with problem solving skills, a familiarity with application development, and an understanding of statistical analysis. Computer applications are built using the Microsoft Office Suite (primarily Excel and VBA) for the purpose of gathering and redistribution of information or analysis. Each application is developed and deployed with a short turnaround time, from conception to production. This intern will be responsible for working with the end users to determine their needs, delivering products that meet their needs, and providing training to the users on how the applications are to be used.
How You Will Make an Impact:
- Numerical analysis of a varying degree of power system data
- Simple application development, primarily using Excel, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), MS Access, and MS Word
- Maintenance of existing applications using the same platforms
- Writing user manuals and developer documentation for existing applications
What We Look For:
- Information analysis capability
- Programming ability, prefer familiarity with VBA
- Conceptual knowledge of databases and SQL
- Understanding of data structures and methods for the transfer of data between applications
- Understanding of basic statistical analysis concepts
- Communication skills for developing requirements
- Creative problem solving skills to quickly find solutions for the end users
- Basic understanding of engineering concepts related to the electric power industry
- Interest in small data analysis / programming
- Ability to work out of Windsor, Connecticut
Minimum Education Level: Rising Junior
Preferred Majors: Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Operations Research
To be eligible for the internship candidate must have completed at least the first year of college and be currently enrolled in a four year or graduate-level academic program. Candidates must have the authority to work in the US on a permanent basis, without requiring sponsorship.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer. Applicants for employment are considered without regard to race, creed, color, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, age, disability, status as a veteran, Vietnam Era Veteran, or being a member of the Reserves or National Guard.
Drug Free Environment
We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Social Networking Notice ISO New England reserves the right to review the candidate's postings on any social networking site accessible in the public domain as part of the candidate assessment process.
Job Start Date
Monday, June 1, 2020
Job End Date
Friday, August 14, 2020