Animal Caregiver I - Primates
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), the nation’s most effective animal protection organization, is seeking an Animal Caregiver I - Primates for our Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch (CABBR) in Murchison, Texas. This position is responsible for cleaning animal enclosures, repair and renovate existing pens and assisting with construction of new ranch facilities, preparing and distributing meals to animals, performing landscaping/grounds keeping duties around ranch, assisting with capture and handling of animals, observing animals for signs of illness/injury, participating in animals enrichment tasks, assisting with reparation and construction of ranch fences, and otherwise assisting with animal care and the operation and maintenance of the sanctuary.
This position will be responsible for:
- Health and well-being of all animals and integrity of enclosures in areas working. Maintaining detailed notes in departmental logs. Reporting abnormalities to appropriate supervisor;
- Maintaining high standards of cleanliness in all enclosures and cages at all times;
- Preparing food/diets. Feeding all animals according to dietary guidelines and feeding schedule. Researching proper nutrition requirements for animals as assigned;
- Observing animals for signs of illness or injury; Administering medications or treatments to ill/injured animals under direction from veterinarian. Capturing, moving and transporting animals to veterinarian and assisting with examinations/surgeries performed on property;
- Being aware of the changing needs of animals in different temperatures and addressing seasonal changes and needs.
- Providing psychological and physical enrichment to a variety of animals housed at the sanctuary.
- Ordering required food products, medications, medical equipment and supplies; organize storage, and stock supplies;
- Repairing and renovating existing animal pens and other sanctuary facilities and assisting in the construction of new pens/facilities;
- Cleaning kitchen, common areas, storage areas, pens, cages, and other areas. Washing and storing laundry.
- Performing landscaping/grounds keeping duties;
- Mentoring interns & volunteers, being sure the quality of care given is up to the established standard of excellence. Reporting all concerns to a supervisor.
Qualifications and Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent required;
Bachelor’s degree in biology, zoology, wildlife science, or related field highly desirable;
A minimum of one (1) year of experience with primates in a zoo/sanctuary/ranch/animal care setting required; two (2) years strongly preferred;
- Must be able to work with a variety of animals;
- Ability to move/lift 50lbs, bend frequently, and stand throughout workday;
- Must be able to work outdoors in variable weather conditions;
- Must have good observational and organizational skills;
- Ability to follow written directions and record observations;
- Reliable attendance is essential to providing optimum animal care;
- Ability to communicate with other staff members and supervisors;
- Must support the mission of HSUS, FFA, and CABBR;
- Ability to work occasional long workdays (up to 12 hours);
- Ability to get Texas Driver’s license and have a good driving record.
When applying, please submit your cover letter and resume together as one document.
This position is located in Murchison, TX.
- Murchison, TX, USA