Deputy Department Manager– RF and EO/IR Subsystems
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
The Radio Frequency (RF) and Electro-Optics/ Infrared (EO/IR) Subsystems Department of the Sensors and Electronics Lab at HRL Laboratories is a highly talented team of scientists and engineers with diverse backgrounds in RF, Applied Electromagnetics, and Photonics. The mission of the department is to develop state of the art active and passive components, modules, packaging solutions and subsystems for next generation RF, Photonic and EO/IR systems such as Radar, LiDAR, IR imaging, Electronic Warfare (EW) and RF/Optical Communications.
We seek a self-motivated scientist / engineer with strong communication and leadership skills to serve as the deputy department manager and drive the department mission and vision. The role consists of roughly 35% management and 65% technical contributions. Line management duties include managing resources, talent acquisition (e.g. recruiting), staff professional development/mentorship and additional department-wide, lab-wide, and HRL-wide assignments (e.g. planning for capital investments). Technical duties require candidate to participate in the development of lab-wide strategies, contribute and lead on internal and US government proposal and marketing activities, brief program progress to customers, create and manage work plans to meet or exceed schedule deadlines, and provide written and oral summaries of work performed as needed (e.g. for reports).
- At least 5 years of experience in a role involving leadership of highly trained technical staff
- More than 10 years of hands-on experience for developing advanced passive and active RF and/or EO/IR components and subsystems such as Radar, LiDAR, IR imaging, EW and RF/optical communications for advanced defense systems
- Demonstrated experience with successful resource allocation and management of technical projects related to US government contracts
- Candidates should possess a proven track record of developing novel and successful solutions to complex technical issues
- Experience with US government proposal and marketing activities
- Extensive knowledge of RF (0.1-200+ GHz), electromagnetic (EM) and/or photonics fundamentals is required
- Knowledge of microelectronic/photonics packaging and integration is required
- Knowledge of system engineering, program and project management processes and tools is required
- Familiarity with digital, mixed-signal, power and signal integrity, and thermal management
- Familiarity with semiconductor fabrication is a plus
EDUCATION DESIRED: Master or Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Physics, or related scientific discipline
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: Proficiency in use of computers, engineering work stations, complex electronic equipment, oral and written communication, interaction with vendors/colleagues and willingness to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Ability to work well in a team and independently. Ability and willingness to travel 20% of time. Must be sufficiently mobile to work within confined spaces and have both visual and hearing acuity.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS (e.g. driver’s license, special tools or restrictions): U.S. citizenship is required. Security clearance or ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required.
HRL Laboratories is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and does not discriminate in recruiting, hiring, training or promoting, on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, medical condition, U.S. military or protected veteran status, union membership, or political affiliation. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
- Pay Type Salary
- Malibu, CA, USA