Office Support Specialist
One Water. One Team.
When you work at Great Lakes Water Authority, you help make a difference in the environment and in your local community.
“One water, one team” is more than just a phrase, it’s a way of doing business. Here, you don’t work for GLWA, you work with GLWA. And together, we’re racing toward a shared goal to become the region’s most-trusted, high-quality water and wastewater resource.
GLWA has a dedicated Member Outreach Program that collaborates with its members on water and wastewater activities. Our members include GLWA team members, board members, water and wastewater partners, associated stakeholders, elected officials, consultants and regulatory agencies. We are looking for an Office Support Specialist to assist with all Member Outreach activities to ensure positive interactions with Members as well as assist the Manager of Systems Planning with daily organizing and follow-up to meet Members’ need. The Member Outreach team interacts with Member-Partners on a regular basis.
Essential job functions:
As the Office Support Specialist, you will perform duties as an assistant to the Manager of Planning Services. This position plans, organizes, leads and performs a variety of business operations, general and specialized administrative activities including, but not limited to answering multiline phones, maintaining calendars, making travel itineraries, handling information requests, preparing correspondences and reports, data entry, recordkeeping, conducting investigations, analyses, and evaluations for assigned unit
- You will perform clerical work, maintain records, complete recordkeeping, typing, transcription and design and utilize filing systems similar work; classify items for entry into bookkeeping records.
- You will reconcile petty cash, check arithmetic computations and balance figures.
- You will operate standard office equipment such as personal computers, printers, copiers, scanners, fax, etc.
- You will maintain calendars for organizational staff; schedule tours, trainings and meetings and perform routine correspondence in response to inquiries and complaints and handle routine contacts with other divisions or sections of the organization.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities
- Routine clerical operations
- Office dynamics and organizational structure
- Data management systems
- Complex clerical operations
- Basic business and statistical concepts
- Job-specific tasks, processes and assignments
- Information systems and job-related expertise
- Type, enter data and file efficiently
- Manage office inventories and supplies
- Operate office equipment
- Interact well with organizational staff, customers and vendors
- Analyze information and compile data
- Use advanced technology
- Understand and follow verbal and written instructions
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Effectively utilize appropriate security and safety equipment and procedures
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance
- Communicate frequently with team members and other units across the Organization about process, equipment or potential problems
- Direct team activities or to work as a team member
- Make arithmetic computations with speed and accuracy
- Assist organizational staff in the completion of complex tasks
- Identify system errors and make corrections
- Prepare and audit complex documents
- Lead meetings and advise on processes
- Direct team activities or to work as a team member
- Develop proficiency in unit specific operations and software
- Work effectively in a team-based, flexible workforce with minimal supervision
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum one (1) year of experience performing clerical or administrative support
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License
- Ability to work irregular hours, to commute to GLWA facilities and work sites, and respond to after hour emergencies and on-call responses
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
This position may require sitting and standing for prolonged periods of time, light to moderate lifting, reaching, pulling, and carrying. Manual dexterity and audiovisual/linguistic acuity is required.
Environmental Working Requirements:
Work is performed in an office environment with exposure to computer screens, working in team offices and closely with all staffing levels.
We are all strategic partners on the path to becoming a
Utility of the Future, and GLWA prioritizes the selection of highly talented,
well-qualified individuals to help us get there.
We are dedicated to expertly delivering the nation’s best
water and wastewater services to southeast Michigan. We offer competitive pay
and the starting wage or salary, if hired, is variable. Factors such as your
proven hard and soft skills, your level of education, history in the sector or
industry, and meaningful work experience will all be evaluated.
We also offer an opportunity for advancement, on the job
training, ongoing professional development, tuition assistance and a career in
a sector that safeguards public health, supports and strengthen communities,
and protects the environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
- Job Family Office Support Specialist
- Job Function Staff Functions
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- 735 Randolph Street, Detroit, MI 48226, USA