Hazardous Materials Specialist
One Water. One Team.
When you work at Great Lakes Water Authority, (GLWA) you help make a difference in the environment and in your local community.
“One water, one team” is more than just a phrase, it’s our way of doing business. Here, you don’t work for the GLWA, you work with GLWA! Together we’re racing toward a shared goal to become the region’s most-trusted, high-quality water and wastewater resource.
We are looking for Security Specialists - HAZMAT to perform a wide variety of hazardous materials response activities as identified in OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120 as well Confined Space Rescue activities as identified in OSHA 29 CFR 1910.146. In addition, HAZMAT Specialists performs investigative and administrative tasks related to the planning, operation, implementation and management of a comprehensive quasi-law enforcement security and protection services program work as a part of the Security & Integrity Team at the Great Lakes Water Authority. Does this sound like you?
You will perform tasks associated with Confined Space Rescue, and the offensive response to mitigate spills and/or leaks associated with the dispersal of Hazardous Materials. These tasks include but are not limited to:
- Hazard identification and damage assessment
- Research, control and atmospheric monitoring and/or sampling
- Performing shift work which includes all day, afternoon, night, weekend and holiday assignments
- Wearing personal protective equipment (PPE) and follow security and safety policies and procedures in carrying out work duties
- Setting up mechanical advantage rope systems
- Performing entry when necessary
- Basic hazard and risk assessment techniques
- Relevant federal and state criminal laws and statutes and possess an understanding of standard operating and termination procedures
- Basic security functions and responsibilities inclusive of rules, guidelines, policies, and procedures regarding operations with emphasis on safety and protection
- Operate in confined spaces
- Implement basic decontamination procedures for equipment, victims and rescue personnel
- Select and use accurate specialty chemical personal Protective Clothing/Equipment (PPC/E)
- Pass the required training to achieve the “Technician” level of OSHA’s Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard (HAZWOPER)
- Achieve the “Rescue” level of OSHA’s Permit Required Confined Space Standard.
- Complete IS-100.b introduction to the Incident Command System
- Complete IS-200.b ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
- Perform control, containment, and/or confinement operations and rescue injured or contaminated persons within the capabilities of the resources and PPE available
Required Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- Fire Fighter I & II Certified
- Background in fire services, emergency medical response, security, military or other related experience
Preferred Education & Experience
Certification or previous experience in Confined Space Entry / Rescue
Certification / experience in Hazmat Response at the Technician Level
- Lift tools and equipment up to 50 pounds
- Wear PPE weighing in excess of 60 pounds
- Work in temperature extremes for long periods of time
- Push, pull, or carry 200 pounds with assistance from a team member
- Stand and walk for prolonged periods
- Climb up six (6) flights of stairs in Level A PPE
- Perform labor-intensive activities in all weather conditions throughout the day
- Work in environments with low clearances, confined spaces and at various heights
- Operate in Self-contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), don and doff PPE to include being physically and mentally capable of wearing a respirator that conforms tightly to the face or equipment that encapsulates the head
- A valid Michigan Driver’s License and the able to drive a motor vehicle on all terrain
- Valid State of Michigan Concealed Pistol License
- Ability to work irregular hours to respond to after hour emergencies and on-call responses
- Commute to GLWA facilities and work sites
GLWA offers competitive pay and the starting wage or salary, if hired, is variable. Factors such as your demonstrated hard and soft skills, your level of education, history in the sector or industry, and relevant work experience will all be evaluated.
We also offer an opportunity for advancement, on the job training, ongoing professional development, tuition assistance and a career in a sector that safeguards public health, supports and strengthen communities, and protects the environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Job Family Security Specialist
- Job Function Security
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- 9300 W Jefferson Ave, Detroit, MI 48209, USA