One Water. One Team.
When you work at Great Lakes Water Authority, you help make a difference in the environment and in your local community.
“One water, one team” is more than just a phrase, it’s our way of doing business. Here, you don’t work for GLWA, you work with GLWA. And together, we’re racing toward a shared goal to become the region’s most-trusted, high-quality water and wastewater resource.
We are looking for Security Officers to provide for the safety and protection of GLWA facilities and staff and carry out the day to day operations of the Security and Integrity Group. Patrol of GLWA facilities and sites observe and report incidents. Conduct physical security assessments. Monitor security equipment follow and oversee security procedures. Deter criminal incidents. Prevent negative conduct and maintain order for the GLWA organization. Perform shift work which includes all day, afternoon, night, weekend and holiday assignments.
Responsibilities (not all-inclusive)
The Security Officer is a responsible and accountable member of a quasi-law enforcement security and protection services program as the first line of protection and safety provisions for the Great Lakes Water Authority (GLWA), its’ staff and customers.
You will be responsible for patrolling, observing, reporting, supporting, assessing, monitoring, coordinating and deterring of unauthorized, dishonest, criminal and negative conduct activities or practices and maintaining order for the organization.
As a member of the Security and Integrity group, you will respond to emergencies or accidents rendering proper assistance and aid including, but not limited to, fires, sabotage, trespassing, hazardous disasters, disorder, medical emergencies, unauthorized gatherings and workplace disturbances, by following the proper procedures and steps to detain responsible individual(s).
This position requires you to operate fire emergency equipment as applicable; provide secured ingress and egress to GLWA properties admitting only authorized persons and materials by practicing strict protocols including identifying persons, vehicles and cargo.
Required Education & Experience
- High School Diploma or GED
- A minimum of two (2) years prior security officer, law enforcement or military experience
- Possess Concealed Pistol License, certified training and carry only as directed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Federal and state criminal laws and statutes
- Basic security functions and responsibilities inclusive of rules, guidelines, policies and procedures regarding security-oriented operations with emphasis on safety and protection
- Observe, respond to and report criminal or negative activity and respond to emergency situations
- Develop proficiency in unit specific operations and software and monitor technical equipment (cameras, alarms, monitors)
- Intervene and mediate conflicts
- Excellent communication, writing, and time management skills including the handling of multiple responsibilities and assignments to effectively communicate with and support security staff and law enforcement officials
- Conduct comprehensive unbiased investigations and provide thorough reports
- Complete and/or review reports, forms and logs
- Make required notifications and other communications
- Interact with the community, citizens and customers and establish and maintain effective working relationships with others
- Ensure the safeguarding of evidence and non-GLWA property
- Safeguard and inspect GLWA property and effectively utilize appropriate security and safety equipment and procedures
- Understand and follow instructions and communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Communicate frequently with team members and other units across the organization about process, equipment or potential problems and direct team activities or to work as a team member
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License
- Ability to work irregular hours, to commute to GLWA facilities and work sites, and respond to after hour emergencies and on-call responses.
- Practice strict confidentiality at all levels internal and external to the organization. Promote proper work ethics relating to general appearance; punctuality; attendance, productivity; good order; and discipline. Subject to the delegation of other assignments based on security unit needs and responsibilities as required.
GLWA offers competitive pay and the starting wage or salary, if hired, is variable. Factors such as your demonstrated hard and soft skills, your level of education, history in the sector or industry, and relevant work experience will all be evaluated.
We also offer an opportunity for advancement, on the job training, ongoing professional development, tuition assistance and a career in a sector that safeguards public health, supports and strengthen communities, and protects the environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- Job Family Security Officer
- Job Function Security
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- 735 Randolph Street, Detroit, MI 48226, USA