Medical Billing & Claims Follow-Up Specialist
CU Medicine is dedicated to providing healthcare and administrative support to the University Of Colorado School Of Medicine’s nearly 3,000 providers. We currently have a variety of opportunities for experienced medical billers to support and collaborate with partners at University of Colorado Hospital and Children’s Hospital Colorado. All positions will be responsible for the follow up on unpaid or rejected insurance claims for assigned carriers and will work with insurance companies, physicians, and/or staff to resolve account issues. The Medical Billing & Claims Follow-up Specialist will:
- Respond to inquiries from insurance carriers, via telephone, email or fax and demonstrate a high level of customer service.
- Pursue reimbursement from carriers by placing phone calls and recording all contact in an electronic tracking system to ensure progress is made on outstanding accounts.
- Coordinate third party collections and work toward the successful reduction in outstanding balances for assigned divisions or projects.
- Identify and respond to patterns of denials or billing practices and perform complex account investigation as needed to achieve resolution.
- Review and resolve uncollected accounts and prepare charge corrections.
- Appeal carrier denials through review of coding, contracts, and medical records.
- Verify patient benefit eligibility/coverage and research ICD-10 diagnosis and CPT treatment codes as needed
- Advise management of any trends regarding insurance denials in an effort to identify problems with particular payers.
- Complete required reports and assist with special projects as assigned.
A few of the many reasons CU Medicine. is a great place to work:
- Structure of work allows individuals to develop skills in a high volume environment with the opportunity for exposure to 20+ specialty areas
- Monthly reviews allow for a clear understanding of your performance level and the opportunity to visualize your success
- Opportunity to be part of a dynamic and collaborative environment where excellence is recognized and rewarded
Requires a high school diploma and a minimum of 1-2 years hands-on experience in a fast-paced medical billing environment. Must have previous experience in a healthcare setting. Familiarity with CPT and ICD-10 is also required; CPC certification is a plus. Strong communication skills and attention to detail are necessary. Must have solid PC and application skills. The ability to handle a very high volume of work with speed and accuracy is essential. Proven ability in collections and negotiation is highly preferred. The ability to understand and apply contract language to billing is key.
All applications MUST be submitted via our website.
CU Medicine is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our staff and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees prior to their employment. Additionally, drug and health screenings may be required for some positions. We are an equal opportunity employer.
CU Medicine supports a Tobacco Free Workplace Environment which prohibits smoking and the use of tobacco products on UPI property, Anschutz Medical Campus and adjacent business locations.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education High School
- University of Colorado Medicine, 13199 E MONTVIEW BLVD, AURORA, Colorado, United States of America