Organization: Community Outreach Group
Title: Data Director
Planned Parenthood is the nation's leading sexual and reproductive health care provider and advocate. The Community Outreach Group is a part of Planned Parenthood, but a separate organization that supports Planned Parenthood with short-term staffing and large-scale advocacy campaigns.
Community Outreach Group is seeking an inquisitive and entrepreneurial Data Director, reporting directly to the Executive Director. The Data Director will oversee reporting, analysis, and optimization of Community Outreach Group’s paid canvass and volunteer programs in the 2020 election cycle, in addition to maintaining the organization’s internal systems. COG runs a highly technical and data-driven operation, and the incoming Data Director will have access to enterprise tools (Civis Platform, Tableau) and both program and operational data to support our programs
In this role, you will advise and support COG senior staff by using data and analysis to ensure our programs are as effective, efficient, and equitable as possible. You will support staff in the field through actionable reporting, analysis, training and tool development, as well as serving as a support desk for data leads in the field.
This is a senior-level role, reporting to the Executive Director. In this position, you will have the opportunity to fulfill the following functions:
- Reporting: Build and maintain national-level reports on program, operations, and compliance to protocol, and create and maintain templates for Regional Data Managers to build state or local reports. Own and maintain soft reporting system.
- Analysis: Review and analyze both soft and hard data to offer feedback and guidance to optimize our work and suggest modifications to our clients if they are needed.
- Training: Ensure employees have the data skills needed to use VAN and read their reports by participating in large orientations and coordinating with Regional Data Managers to offer ongoing training and support. Directly train Regional Data Managers on higher-level technical skills.
- VAN Administration: Serve as Community Outreach Group’s national administrator in conjunction with the PPFA Data, Analytics, and Research Team by setting up accounts for senior-level users, creating Teams and Divisions, loading scripts and permissioning universe folders, and serving as subject matter expert for VAN and reporting for technical support tickets.
- Partnership: You will work closely with Planned Parenthood’s national Data, Analytics, and Research Team to understand the shared national VAN structure and data standards, and implement and enforce these standards within COG. You will function as an auxiliary member of the Planned Parenthood team, relying on them for support, guidance, and advice, and at the same time assisting with their work by ensuring COG’s data processes are flawless.
- Data Infrastructure: The ideal candidate for this role will bring the technical skill to help architect additional integrations from COG’s various tools into Civis Platform via APIs, use of S/FTP, or web scripting, and other automated solutions.
- Internal Infrastructure: The ideal candidate for this role will have familiarity with operational data infrastructure and can provide guidance on how to optimize and simplify internal operational software.
Applicants for this position should bring the following knowledge, abilities, and attitude:
- Familiarity with field and field data, especially in the context of large-scale canvass operations and organizing for advocacy or electoral campaigns;
- Excitement to learn what makes each program tick, and a strong desire to support field staff through actionable tools and reporting that make it easier for them to do their jobs;
- Strong project management skills – the ability to take large projects, divide them into steps, plot them into a work plan, and keep yourself on task to meet goals;
- Excellent communicator, verbally and through visual display;
- Have used VAN extensively as a manager; preference for having administered VAN (creating usernames, managing scripts, creating coding structures, etc.);
- Understanding of database structure and relationships;
- An aptitude and enthusiasm for learning new technologies quickly;
- A can-do attitude to wrangling data: using and creating templates, knowledge of protocols to prevent rounding, number formatting, address issues that could delay payroll and administrative processes;
- Experience and comfort using Google docs and other collaborative communication software;
- Experience with training others on utilizing technology and the VAN (large group sessions, small group sessions, 1 on 1, online, and through producing documentation);
Strong understanding of spreadsheets: you should not be afraid of look up formulas, conditionals, pivot tables, or researching error messages.
We especially encourage applications from people who bring some of these additional skills or experiences:
- Strong preference for candidates with a working knowledge of SQL (you will need SQL to do the job, but we welcome applications from people who are ready to learn);
- Data visualization skills: Tableau, mapping, d3.js, Fusion Tables, etc.
- Automation and/or programming experience with APIs, Python, etc.
- Experience working with a diverse workforce and with/for communities of color.
There is no formal education requirement for this position.
This is a full-time, exempt, senior-level position with the Community Outreach Group, with an annual base salary between $100,000 - $108,000 depending on skills, experience, and qualifications. Full-time exempt employees are also eligible for a cell phone reimbursement up to $75/month, and employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance.
The Community Outreach Group, LLC is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Community Outreach Group, LLC is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
- Pay Type Salary
- Job Start Date Monday, June 1, 2020