Flow Cytometry Research Applications Scientist
Seattle, WA, USA Req #533
Tuesday, December 10, 2019
Formerly Puget Sound Blood Center and Lane Blood Center, Bloodworks is backed by more than 70 years of Northwest history and 250,000 donors. A national leader in transfusion medicine, Bloodworks has been chosen to serve more than 90 hospitals in Washington, Oregon and Alaska – partnering closely with local hospitals to deliver the highest level of patient care. Patients with traumatic injuries, undergoing surgeries or organ transplantation, or receiving treatment for cancer and blood disorders all depend on our services, expertise, laboratories and research. We are local, nonprofit, independent, volunteer-supported and community-based.
The Research Applications Scientist serves as a subject matter expert related to applications in Flow Cytometry. In addition, as the Core Director, this position will oversee all operations of the flow cytometry core and serve as a technical expert to all research staff members at Bloodworks Northwest’s Research Institue. Overall, the ideal candidate will be able to effectively act as a consulting resource for our in-house operators and serve as point person for contracted work in the flow cytometry core. Incumbent will apply their expertise in with multi-flow applications, cell analysis systems, provide appropriate training to well qualified users, troubleshoot, assist in assay design and other technical consultation as needed. Operate and maintain a flow cytometer, cell sorter and cell imaging machine (AMNIS) for inside (BWNW) and outside users (from other institutions). Cellular analysis and purification will be the primary scientific responsibilities. Instructing, maintenance and repair of the equipment are major job requirements. The Director is responsible for developing policies and procedures, maintaining the financial health of the Core and communicating with all levels of personnel.
ANTICIPATED START DATE - JUNE 1ST
ANTICIPATED START DATE - JUNE 1ST
- Performs routine calibration and maintenance of 3 flow cytometric instruments, Becton-Dickenson (FACSVantage and FACSCalibur) and Amnis Flow Cytometer.
- Performs analyses of single and multi-color labeled cells.
- Performs purification of cells by fluorescent sorting for in-house and outside users.
- Ability to perform intracellular staining.
- Instruct investigators and technicians in the applications of flow cytometry, cell sorting and intracellular staining and assist with assay design and analysis.
- Design flow cytometry analysis and cell sorting protocols to be used by research staff.
- Extensive technical expertise in instrument quality control and routine maintenance, troubleshooting and advising flow sorting strategies.
- Coordinate schedule for in-house and outside users.
- Maintain data files.
- Analyze data and generate reports in a timely fashion.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Masters degree or Ph.D. in biological sciences is preferred, four year degree in a scientific discipline is required.
- Minimum 1-2 years experience with flow cytometry and cell imaging, including flow related technologies related to analysis.
- Contract generation and negotiation skills related to contracting for external users.
- Basic computer skills (word processing, spreadsheet, database analysis).
- Demonstrated effective written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
Bloodworks Northwest is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Start Date Monday, June 1, 2020
- Seattle, WA, USA