Research Technologist II
We are seeking a Research Technologist II with experience in molecular biology and genetics to join our laboratory at Bloodworks NW.Our research program focuses on the study of disorders of coagulation and blood groups.The major focus of this position is to assist in blood sample preparation, DNA and RNA procedures (PCR, qPCR, Sanger sequencing, next generation DNA and/or RNA sequencing experience), and molecular assays to understand phenotypes and mechanisms, immunoassays such as ELISA or Western blot, or functional enzyme assays.The motivated technologist will have the opportunity to provide input into the design of new assays and experiments. This position will also be responsible for day to day laboratory management, including maintaining records, ordering supplies, and conducting training on procedures within the area of expertise.
The successful applicant will be a good communicator who is detail-oriented and proficient in modern biology laboratory techniques, with a strong interest in innovation and cutting-edge biotechnologies.The Research Technologist will report to the Supervisor and work with the more senior staff to further the mission of this program to advance our understanding of coagulation and blood disorders and to improve care for patients.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform laboratory experiments and procedures.
- Operate liquid handling instruments and other automation.
- Contribute to protocol design and optimization.
- Perform data entry to accurately document results.
- Analyze and interpret data, including basic statistical analyses.
- Summarize results in written reports and presentations.
- Participate in operations including maintaining stock solutions, instruments, inventory, etc.
- Follow SOPs and experimental protocols as written
- Follow laboratory safety protocols and procedures.
- A Bachelor’s degree in genetics, cell or molecular biology, or a related discipline with 2+ years of laboratory experience.
- Experience with DNA and RNA sample preparation for downstream nucleotide applications and techniques such as DNA and RNA quantification, genomic PCR, cDNA library preparation, and DNA/RNA sequencing
- Experience with immunological and molecular principles and techniques such as ELISA, IP, western blot, antibody modification, or related techniques is preferred.
- Prior experience working in a BSL-2 environment and working in DNA/RNA clean spaces is desired.
- Familiarity with standard software in the environment such as Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access) and database management principles.Experience with next generation sequencing data analysis is a plus.
- Ability to work with some independence under the Supervisor.
- Strong organizational, time management, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent record-keeping ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to accurately pipet small volumes is required.
- Proficiency in standard molecular biology laboratory techniques.
- Fluent in English.
- Able to work at the standing laboratory bench (routinely) and lift up to 25 lbs (rarely).
- Seattle, WA, USA