Registered Nurse- Outpatient Specialty Clinic
The Washington Center for Bleeding Disorders has been a medical home to patients with inherited bleeding disorders throughout the state of Washington since 1974. We help patients obtain early, effective treatment and acquire skills that foster independence, and minimize the acute and chronic complications from a bleeding disorder. The Center is located in Seattle, Washington and in collaboration with Bloodworks Northwest, we work every day at saving lives through research, innovation, education and excellence in the services we provide to patients.
We have an opening for a Registered Nurse- Outpatient Specialty Clinic to join our Washington Center for Bleeding Disorders Department (Hemophilia Care Program). We are looking for a compassionate, dedicated person that would like to grow within our comprehensive team.
- Demonstrate high level, comprehensive nursing assessment of patient needs regarding acute bleeding events, injury, educational/teaching needs and determine action and arrange for treatment, referral, or education in the context of a multi-disciplinary team.
- Demonstrate excellent telephone triage, communication, and customer care.
- Develop treatment plans for surgeries and other invasive procedures in conjunction with the hematologist. Communicate, document and coordinate all details of plan including any patient education. Assist all outside providers/institutions to execute the treatment plan as written, including post-discharge plans.
- Educate and empower patients and families in the management of their bleeding disorder with the goal of prevention of complications, provide for safety and foster appropriate independence.
- Provide the training necessary for home treatment(s) including self-venipuncture skills.
- Provide direct patient care, including IV therapy in the clinic, visit patients in hospital and home as appropriate.
- Provide in-service education to our community partners such as hospitals, insurers, schools, dental practices and others.
- Interact and collaborate with community providers on behalf of our patients to ensure safe and appropriate care for their bleeding disorder.
- Rotate primary on-call after hours to provide consultation, triage, referrals and treatment recommendations with physician back-up. Field inquiries from community providers.
- As part of an interdisciplinary team, perform periodic assessments of medical, dental, orthopedic, educational, psychosocial, financial needs of all patients with bleeding disorders. Assess all pertinent resources available to help patient & family meet their needs.
- Collect data on a variety of patient variables for federal requirements as well as internal quality improvement projects and improved patient outcomes.
- Participate in annual residential hemophilia camp for patients and assist with infusions as well as self-infusion training for campers.
- Conduct case finding based on family history to identify potential family members who could be at risk for bleeding disorders.
- Attend the annual regional meeting.
- Demonstrate efficiency and organization of daily duties as well as the ability to plan ahead.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Washington Center for Bleeding Disorders computer programs with clear and timely documentation of all interactions, treatments and pertinent information into the EMR.
- Must maintain an active Washington State Registered Nurse license in good standing.
- Comply with all applicable Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as written as well as any state or federal requirements.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- RN degree is required. Master’s Degree in nursing or relevant field is highly preferred or equivalent education and/or clinical experience with bleeding disorders.
- A minimum of three years acute care experience required.
- Minimum of one year clinical experience preferably with adults and adolescents with chronic health problems.
Job conditions to be expected include some overnight and regional travel, extended hours, weekend hours and on-call status.
We offer a competitive benefits package. Compensation is DOE DOQ.
- Seattle, WA, USA