Communications / Public Relations Summer Intern
As a BCBSRI public relations, community relations and communications intern, the student will work on a variety of projects within the departments of internal communications and community/public relations. Interns will gain experience focused in media relations, internal communications, public relations, and social media.
Interns are treated as team members and given tasks that provide them with the ability to grow in their future professional careers. After interning with our office, each student will leave with a portfolio of work completed throughout the internship experience. Minimum of 15 hours per week and schedule can be flexible. This is an unpaid position that will afford academic credit for an undergraduate program.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works with the public relations department on initiatives including drafting and executing on: press releases, media advisories, talking points, social media content, external campaigns, etc.
- Works with the community relations department on various projects that might include interacting with the nonprofit/charitable sector in RI, drafting employee communications, conducting online research, data entry, coordinating volunteer events/logistics, and contributing to idea development for project execution.
- Works with the internal communications department on initiatives including drafting and executing on: internal event planning, drafting employee communications, talking points, intranet content, flyers/posters, etc.
- Assists with increasing visibility on social media platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram for the corporate channels
- Builds and maintains relevant local and national media lists
- Provides assistance during events and event planning/prep
- Works with other internal “clients” to facilitate the completion of internal projects
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or matriculating status from four-year college or university
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities:
- Excellent organizational skills, time management skills
- Excellent written, verbal, analytical and research skills
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications
- Highly technical and detail oriented abilities
- Strong attention to detail
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree program, ideally in Marketing, Communications, Writing, or Public Relations
- Currently in good standing with a 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA
The law requires an employer to post notices describing the Federal laws prohibiting job discrimination based on race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, equal pay, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, and genetic information and gender identity or expression. Please visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf to view the "EEO is the Law" poster.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Blue Cross & Blue Shield of Rhode Island, 500 Exchange Street, Providence, Rhode Island, United States of America