ProBAR Senior Staff Attorney - HRL
Accountable for providing legal services to migrants returned to Matamoros, Mexico to wait for their
immigration hearings under the Migrant Protection Protocols/Remain in Mexico policy. The position will work out of ProBAR's office in Harlingen, Texas and in temporary office space in the nearby border city of Brownsville.
Principal Duties/Job Responsibilities
- Provide direct representation to migrants who will have their cases heard at the soft tent "port court" in Brownsville, Texas, as permitted by current funding contract(s).
- Develop strategies for providing legal information and services to migrants who will have their cases heard at the soft tent "port court" in Brownsville.
- Provide general information and workshops to migrants who will have their cases heard at the soft tent “port court” in Brownsville, Texas.
- Screen cases for potential direct representation or pro bono placement.
- Engage with pro bono volunteers.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Required Qualifications & Interests
- Possession of a Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA-accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law in a U.S. state or territory or Accreditation, as required in order to appear as representative before immigration court.
- Three years of experience in representing clients in removal proceedings
- Fluency in English and Spanish in written and spoken forms.
Preferred Qualifications & Interests
Licensed to practice law and member in good standing of State Bar of Texas.
Prior volunteer, community, or work experience regarding immigration or
Prior non-profit experience, particularly involving field work.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with the American Bar Association please call 312-988-5188.
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Doctorate
- TX ProBAR, 202 South First Street, Harlingen, Texas, United States of America